Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Holiday message with moral and stuff

For the first time ever, I am a needy person. I should clarify, I have probably often acted needy, but for the first time, I am the direct recipient of the generous donation of time that comes with volunteering. I have volunteered before and in fact done the same exact task that others are doing for me, so it is quite something to be on this end of the table.


Although I very much appreciate others' generosity, there are moments when I am a bit embarsassed, or even resentful. Do they know about my fancy academic degrees? Do they know I have friends that don't have to volunteer to spend time with me? Do they know I myself volunteer to help others? Basically in the end I appreciate it so much it doesn't matter, especially when people seem to be having a good time. It makes me hope I was always enthusiastic, and never smelt like duty.

So my message here is, Chag Sameach, and go volunteer, and enjoy it, and even if people seem a little awkward it doesn't matter. If you know me you can maybe imagine what people are doing for me, and this is something I have done in the past, and I highly encourage everyone to do too. If you don't know what I am talking about, email me and ask.