Friday, June 18, 2010

Scraping shmaltz from underneath my fingernails...

Just cut up my first two raw chickens. I have roasted plenty of whole chickens, and I have bought already cut up chicken many times, but today I bought a whole chicken (thank you Trader Joe's) which required transforming into (8) pieces of chicken. Even though butchering technically means that I actually killed the animals, butchering was involved. I don't want to be too graphic for the sake of my vegetarian readers, but basically it was all ok until the breasts, which it turns out look pretty much the same as the back, are connected to bones in ways breasts never should be and ended up being removed with scissors.

And to preempt questions, I watched two youtube videos on how to cut up chicken, and my chicken looked nothing like theirs, so it was not at all helpful.

PS GOOD JOB MEXICO