Saturday, May 29, 2010

DPR KOREAN SOCCER MADNESS

I am proud to be in possession of a World Cup 2010 brackets poster, you know, with a list of teams, and the initial matchups, etc. While perusing the list I noticed 'Korea, Republic of' in a group with Argentina, Nigeria and Greece, but then 'Korea DPR' in a group with Brazil, Côte d'Ivoire and Portugal. Two Koreas! You would be forgiven for being confused about which is which, but assuming that DPR stands for Democratic People's Republic, it is easiest to remember that countries with Democratic Republic or People's in the name generally aren't (see, DR Congo, German DR).

My deep interest in North Korea doesn't actually extend anywhere near to wishing for success to it's government, but I also do love an underdog, so overall I am somewhat ambivalent as to where NK goes on my cheeromeeter. If winning would provide for a "Sound of Music" moment, in which the entire team could defect and live out there lives in the lovely veld of Kwa-Zulu Natal, then I am all for it.