Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Choose your Own SOFU

I was thinking what I want to hear from Obama in his state of the union tonight. Do I want want him to be inspiring like he was in the 2004 inauguration, or more detailed and pragmatic? Do I want him to make me proud and patriotic by describing the advances of the past year, and praising our aid in situations like Haiti? Do I want him to be critical of Congress - of Democrats, of Republicans? Do I want him to be apologetic about his own failures? Do I want him to call on Americans to do more? Do I want to hear that in his many areas of focus - jobs, health care, Afghanistan, etc. - that we are on our way to a solution, or do I want to hear that this is going to be a turning point, that he is going to change course, or strategy? Honestly, I am not sure. I think it is going to be hard for him to hit a home run in this speech, and I wish I had a little bit of advice, even if I'm pretty certain it wouldn't be helpful.